27 Mar Spring Pruning of Summer Blooming Shrubs
What can you do in the garden in the early spring? Prune all the flowering shrubs that bloom on current year’s wood. Those are the plants that flower in the summer and fall. We will be having a garden walk where I will be demonstrating exactly how to do this on Saturday morning, April 12th and Thursdayevening, April 17th. The details will be in our Calendar of Events that will be published soon.
Here is a list of flowering shrubs that should be pruned in the spring:
- Abelia grandiflora
- Cornus- twiggy dogwoods with colorful stems only
- Hibiscus (rose of Sharon)
- Tree hydrangeas (Hydrangea paniculata)
- Hills of Snow hydrangeas (Hydrangea arborescens)
- Summer blooming Spireas such as ‘Anthony Waterer’, ‘Neon Flash’
For more information and descriptions of these plants, visit our website and read through the shrub section of our catalog.
Old Wood New Wood